Sunday 18 February 2018

Top Ten Books I Want to Read in 2018

I've seen a lot of people making these blog posts/videos about the top books they want to read in 2018 and it's something I definitely wanted to do. It's a great way to keep track of the main books on my TBR for the year and it's something I can go back to at next year to see how I did. So here are the ten books (and series) I want to read this year!

1. The Darker Shade of Magic Trilogy by V.E. Schwab
I read my first V.E. Schwab book late last year (This Savage Song) and I really loved it. Her writing is beautiful and she's not afraid to put her characters in danger. I'm really excited to dive into another series of hers, especially since these books have so much hype surrounding them. The storyline of parallel London's just sound so interesting and I've heard the magic system is really well done. I own all three now so I just want to marathon-read them (this is true for most of the books on this list too though). 

2. The City of Brass by S. A. Chakraborty
I received this book as an arc in my last Illumicrate box and still haven't got around to picking it up. Everyone who's read it seems to absolutely love it so I'm desperate to read this now. It's an epic fantasy (my favourite) set in 18th century Middle East. I find this fascinating as I've never read a book set in that era or setting so I'm excited to see what the story is like.

3. And I Darken by Kiersten White
This trilogy has intrigued me since I first heard about it; a Vlad the Impaler re-telling, where Vlad is a woman. It sounds like it's going to be dark and compelling. The idea and setting of the Ottoman Empire is so interesting. I already own the first two books in this trilogy and I know the final book is being released this year so I might wait until then before I pick it up and then marathon the series!

4. Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake
Again, I've heard so so many good things about this series from people I trust. To be honest, it's probably the book I'm most excited to read on this list. The idea of three princesses, each with different abilities, fighting for the crown just pulls me in immediately (especially when the powers of each woman sounds amazing). I also read the Anna Dressed in Blood duology by Kendare Blake last year and really enjoyed her writing. Same as the And I Darken series, I already own the first two books and I think I might wait until later this year when the final book come sup before picking these up.

5. The Fifth Season Trilogy by N. K. Jemisin
So I've actually just finished The Fifth Season and absolutely adored it. I've already moved on to The Obelisk Gate which I hope will be just as amazing. This trilogy is an epic fantasy set in a post-apocalyptic world. The world itself is hard to describe and it's better if the books are just read. However, the worldbuilding is immense and the characters are so real and incredible. It's full of powerful women, people of colour, and gender/sexual diversity. N.K. Jemisin is an amazing author and I'm so excited to continue with this trilogy.

6. The Stand by Stephen King
I absolutely love Stephen King's books. I own a shelf's worth of them and have read quite a lot of his work. His writing is so compelling and I haven't yet read a book of his that I haven't enjoyed (if not loved). I've heard so much about this specific book which is a post-apocalyptic horror/fantasy where a computer virus effectively destroys the world. I'm excited to pick up another Stephen King book this year while I'll hopefully love.

7. An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
Similar to some of the other books I've mentioned, I own the first two books in this  trilogy and I know the third is due out this year so I plan to marathon the series. These books are supposed to be packed with diversity and the plot and characters are meant to be great. This fantasy trilogy is based on ancient Rome and it's Empire and it follows people on either side of this. Although it does sound like other books I've read, I've heard it's very different and so many people have recommended this now.

8. The Black Prism series by Brent Weeks
I first heard about this high fantasy series on PeruseProjects' channel last year and I knew I just had to pick it up. I own the first four books (which are all huuuuge), and I'm super excited to pick them up. The magic system of using the light spectrum to create magic is super interesting and I've never heard of anything quite like it. The premise reminds me a little of Mistborn and I'm really excited to see if it lives up to the hype.

9. Snow Like Ashes Trilogy by Sara Raasch
I haven't heard wonderful things about this trilogy but I'm still very excited to read it. This is a YA Medieval fantasy trilogy which follows a refugee who is training to be a soldier in the enslaved Kingdom of Winter. I feel like it's going to be a fast-paced, enjoyable read, and will be perfect for when I'm in the mood for this.


10. Chronicles of Ixia series by Maria V. Snyder

I've heard so much about Maria V. Snyder's books and I own about 10 of them even though I've not picked one up yet. I recently picked up this series thanks to some recommendations and I'm very excited. This series is a high fantasy with a unique magic system. So many people have said it's an incredible series and I'm so happy I finally have them to read.

So, those are my top 10 books/series I want to read this year! Let me know what you think and if you've read any of these in the comments. So excited for this year of reading and I'm hoping it'll be even better than last year's!

No comments:

Post a Comment