Wednesday 11 February 2015

Top Five Wednesday | Books That Take Place in Your Country/Region/Area

This is one topic that I thought I was going to find pretty difficult as I felt like most books are set in the USA rather than the UK, and when they are set in the UK it's usually Scotland or London or somewhere most people have heard of. I'm originally from the North East of England so I was sure it was going to be difficult to find books from there but it was easy once I looked. I had forgotten how many of my favourite books have taken place close-ish to where I'm from. None of them are set in my home town but a couple are very close! Some of these books just set in England rather than specifically the North East, as I thought they deserved a mention as well! Here we go!

1. Dracula by Bram Stoker

Dracula is one of my favourite novels of all time. This classical horror is full of suspense and mystery, and keeps the reader hooked from the start. This is probably the book I could find which is (partly) set closest to where I live. The book is mostly set in Transylvania (obviously), London and Whitby. Whitby is about forty minutes from where I'm from and it's a beautiful seaside town with a haunting abbey. It's full of history and you can see so many places which Bram Stoker described in his beautifully worded novel. I recommend both seeing Whitby, at least once, and definitely picking up Dracula to read the most famous vampire novel.  

(A photograph I took in Whitby not too long ago!)


2. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling 

Okay, so this is a really obvious one for anyone who lives in England. I know I don't live in Surrey but I do live in London, fairly near Kings Cross, at the moment. Also I've been over the viaduct on the Hogwart's Express (in Scotland), so I think this counts. Naturally it's one of my favourite childhood books and it'll always feel close home!






3. The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis

The Magician's Nephew is my absolute favourite of The Chronicles of Narnia, and I'm so sad they've never made a film for it. I know most of it is set in Narnia but it's main characters are from Victorian London, and a fair bit of the story takes place there. This is one of the first ever fantasy book series I read, and it will always remain one of my absolute favourites! If anyone hasn't read these books yet (or even just haven't read this particular one) then I definitely recommend going to pick them up because they are fantastic.  

4. The Secret Garden by Francis Hodgson Burnett 
 This is, yet again, another of my childhood favourites. I remember my Grandad lending this book to me when I was about six and I absolutely fell in love with it. It's set in Yorkshire, so it's very close to home! This is a children's classic about a young girl who gets sent to live in Yorkshire, with her Uncle, after becoming orphaned. She starts of a spoiled child who attempts to discover the two biggest mysteries at the house she's been sent to live in. It's such a beautiful story and a must read for anyone who hasn't already! I'd also recommend seeing the film which has Maggie Smith in it!




5. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

This is another book set in and around the Yorkshire countryside. A very famous classic which I know most people have heard. I first read this gothic romance when I was about 15 and I really enjoyed it. It's a very powerful story and it portrays human nature in such a realistic light. Emily Bronte was a fantastic writer. I know a lot of people are intimidated by classics but I would definitely recommend giving this book a chance as it's an incredible story!


A Picture I took on the North Yorkshire Moors last year.












So, these are my favourite books which take place in  my country/region! Let me know if you've been to any of these places or have read any of these books. Also feel free to share the links to your Top Five Wednesday below and I'll check it out!


2 comments:

  1. Your list is wonderful. These are all books I LOVE. Thank you for posting pictures of Whitby and the Moors. I've never been to the UK, so seeing those pictures added to what I had in my head of those settings.

    You can see my T5W list here if you want. It was difficult, though, because I live in Oceania and not many well-known books take place here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) I'm so glad you liked my post and the pictures!

      Yes, these books are absolutely amazing!

      Thanks for sending me your link, I'll check out your blog now!

      Delete