Wednesday 29 April 2015

Top Five Wednesday | Favourite Series Endings




This week's Top Five Wednesday is Top Five Favourite Series Endings. Just in case anyone is new to this. Top Five Wednesday is an idea created by Lainey, or Gingerreadslainey on youtube. She creates weekly topics for bloggers and youtubers to talk more about different aspects of their favourite books. The group, which lists the monthly topics, can be found here!

I've not been very active on my blog in the past month, especially with Top Five Wednesday's, as you may have noticed, because I've been going through a really busy period with my job. But I'm back now!

I actually found this topic more difficult than last month's 'Top Five Worst Series Endings' and I think that's because the bad endings tend to leave a bad taste in your mouth which takes you a long time to forget. However, I've found my top five favourite series endings and this post will be completely spoiler free!

5) Allegiant by Veronica Roth

This is one where I know a lot of people will disagree. There are so many people who despised this ending but I thought it was very fitting. I loved the exploration of the world and how it came to be (which I think isn't often explored enough in dystopian fiction yet it's the thing I'm most interested in). Although I wasn't exactly 'happy' when I finished the book, I was definitely satisfied with the ending and would pick the trilogy up again. To see my full (spoiler-free) review of Allegiant, you can click here!


4) The Master by Louise Cooper
This trilogy by Louise Cooper is one of the most unique fantasy trilogies I've ever read. It's quite an old series and I don't often hear people talking about it. To be honest, I only picked it up at my sister's recommendation, and I'm so glad I did! This book was filled with the most complex characters I've ever read and it made the story line very realistic because of this. If you're a lover of fantasy then definitely check this series out: it follows Tarod from when he was just a small child to him discovering his powers and growing up in the incredible and interesting world Cooper creates. It blurs good and evil and like no story I've ever read before and, in my opinion, the ending is one of the most concrete and satisfying endings I've ever read.


3) Inheritance by Christopher Paolini
The Inheritance Cycle is one of my absolute favourite fantasy series of all time. Dragons, magic, elves, long-lost family members, what more can you ask for in a fantasy series? I started reading this series when I was about 10 and I read the final book when I was 18 so it stayed with me for a long time, and I love to re-read them. Although I haven't read the final book since 2011, I remember absolutely loving it. It had incredibly epic battles and although not everyone lived 'happily ever after' it still felt as though everything right had happened. It is such an epic series that I would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys a good fantasy book (and don't be put off by their size, they're so easy to read!).

2) The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

I absolutely love this trilogy. Philip Pullman is an incredible author. (As a side note, I also wanted to add the final book of his Sally Lockhart series to this list but I decided to limit it to one book/series per author). This final installment explores so much more of the world Pullman creates and it has such powerful messages in it. Although part of the ending was incredibly sad, I really enjoyed it and I felt like it took the trilogy so much further than the previous two books. I don't feel like enough people have read this trilogy and I would highly recommend it to fantasy/steam-punk fiction lovers, although I do think it has something which can appeal to any reader.



1) The Wizard's Promise by Cliff McNish

As a young child, this was my favourite trilogy to get out of the library to read and no-one ever seems to have heard of it. The Doomspell Trilogy is a Teenage Fantasy trilogy which follows two children from earth who end up stranded in a world of witches and magic and the war which ensues between the worlds. It is incredibly well written and fast-paced and I love re-reading the series. The final book explores so many more characters and creatures and the epic battle which erupts between the sides. It is moving and interesting and I cannot recommend this trilogy enough to people. The final book leaves the reader satisfied and ties up all the loose ends from the books. This will always be a favourite of mine.


So those are my Top Five Favourite Series Endings! Give me a comment and let me know what yours are or if you've done Top Five Wednesday then leave me a link and I'll check it out!


2 comments:

  1. I haven't finished the series but have heard many mixed things on Allegiant. I know it was on a lot of people's worst series ending list. Hope work slows down so you get to blog more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work should be slowing down more now so I will hopefully be blogging more :)

      I would recommend finishing it to see what you think!

      Delete