Friday 19 July 2019

NEWTs Magical Readathon TBR 2019

This is the second part of the amazing magical readathon created by Book Roast on Youtube. 

The first part of the readathon happened in April this year and the idea is that you can take any of the subjects in the NEWTs readathon that you completed in the OWLs readathon. This year Gi has gone all out and not only created reading prompts for each subject but has also created wizarding careers to choose from. If you want more information then I'll leave her explanation video here so you can check those out as she explains it far better than I could! You can also find all the reading prompts and career paths in that video too.

The NEWTs readathon starts on August 1st and lasts the whole month (until August 31st) and during this time everyone will be taking their 'NEWT Examinations'. In my OWLs I managed to pass every subject which means I could take any of the subjects I want and attempt to complete them all. However, there are 33 prompts so I'm definitely going to narrow it down to a more do-able TBR! I've still decided to be ambitious and chose the Alchemist career path which means I will need:

O - Ancient Runes
O - Arithmancy
O - Herbology
O - Potions
O - Transfiguration
E - Astronomy

This means I will need to read 17 books in the month of August, which feels very do-able as I've been reading around 20 books a month lately. If I surpass the above then I'll also try to fit in other subjects as well but we'll see how it goes! (Also, note that you have to complete the prompts in order so you can get the NEWT, e.g. you have to complete the Acceptable, then Exceeds Expectations, and finally Outstanding).

So, without further ado, here are the prompts and my TBR for the NEWTs Magical Readathon.

Ancient Runes
A: Ehwaz (partnership) - A read recommended by a friend
Red Rising by Pierce Brown - A book I keep being told to read!

E: A Book written in the past tense
Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh

O: Book that has been on your TBR for ages
Over to You by Roald Dahl - This is one book in the bind-up I have that I still haven't read yet and it's been over 10 years since I bought this collection.

Arithmancy
A: Book that ends on an even page number
The Museum of Heartbreak by Meg Leder - 282 pages.

E: Read a standalone
Jack of Hearts (and Other Parts) by Lev A.C. Rosen

O: Read a book that's longer than 350 pages
Golden Son by Pierce Brown - 444 pages.

Astronomy
A: A book with a moon on the cover or anywhere in the title
The Girl King by Mimi Yu - A crescent moon is visible on both the cover and the spine.

E: Word "night" in the book title or series name
Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor

Herbology
A: Mandrake! Quick, put your headphones on! Listen to an audiobook (or read a book with green on the cover)
The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs by Stephen L. Brusatte or I may pick up an audiobook if I'm able to!

E: Read a book between 350-390 pages
Dear Amy by Helen Callaghan - 352 pages.

O: Read a book with a flower on the cover
The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Potions
A: Polyjuice Potion: Read your friend's favourite book
The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher - I have the ebook of this so I'll be reading it on my Kobo.

E: House ingredient: Read a book with a cover in your Hogwart's house colour (Blue for me!)
Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor - Blue for Ravenclaw!

O: Book that starts with a prologue
All These Beautiful Strangers by Elizabeth Klehfoth

Transfiguration
A: Read a book with LGBTQA+ representation
The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson - I believe this has trans representation.

E: Read a book that is not a first in the series
Morning Star by Pierce Brown - The third book in the Red Rising trilogy.

O: McGonagall does not mess around! Read a book over 500 pages
The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch - 722 pages.

So these are the 17 books I'm hoping to read for the readathon. It's a pretty ambitious TBR but I'm feeling confident right now. I might switch out some books if I need to, but this is it for now. Let me know if you've read any of the books above and what you thought of them. Also, if you're participating in the readathon feel free to link your TBR below!

No comments:

Post a Comment