Thursday 26 March 2020

OWLs Magical Readathon 2020 TBR

This amazing readathon was created by Book Roast on Youtube. Once again, Gi has gone all out and not only created reading prompts for each subject but has also created wizarding careers to choose from so people can decide what OWLs to take. The readathon starts on April 1st and lasts until April 30th. During this time everyone will be taking their 'OWL Examinations'. To see her announcement video explaining the readathon in more detail you can click here. You can also find all the reading prompts and career paths in that video too.

My plan is always to do all of the OWLs and also as many NEWTs as possible, but I decided to pick the Magizoologist career this year. This means I only technically have to do 4 prompts but as I said, I plan to read a book for each prompt.

So, below are all the subjects and reading prompts as well as my TBR! I'm trying to use this readathon to get to a fair few of my backlog books that have been on my TBR a long time (as well as a couple of newer releases). This TBR is subject to some change if I find that the books don't fit the prompts as well as I hoped!

Ancient Runes - Heart Rune: A Book with a Heart on the Cover or Title
Heartstopper: Volume 1 by Alice Oseman. This one is pretty self-explanatory, this graphic novel has heart in the title.

Arithmancy - Magical Qualities of Numbers 2: Balance/Opposites. Read Something Outside of your Favourite Genre
Heartstopper: Volume 2 by Alice Oseman. I decided to just try and read all three this month since they're super quick to get through and I haven't read the third one yet. This is a YA contemporary graphic novel and my favourite genre is Adult fantasy so it's definitely outside of my favourite genre!

Astronomy - Night Classes: Read the Majority of this book when it's Dark Outside
Heartstopper: Volume 3 by Alice Oseman. Again, since this is a quick graphic novel, I plan to just read this one evening.

Care of Magical Creatures - Hippogriffs: Creature with a Beak on the Cover
Our Zoo by June Mottershead. I picked up this non-fiction book from Chester Zoo last year and it follows the family that started the zoo. Very excited to read it and it has penguins on the cover so that fulfils this prompt to have a beak on the cover.

Charms - Lumos Maxima: A Book with a White Cover
Ink by Amanda Sun. I've had this ebook for quite a long time so I think it's finally time I picked it up. This is a book set in Japan and I believe it has to do with Japanese Gods, which is something that really interests me. Again, pretty self-explanatory as it has a mostly white cover.

DADA - Grindylows: Book Set at Sea or on the Coast
The Iliad and The Odyssey. Basically, I chose these books as I've been meaning to get around to them for years anyway, but also because I want to read Circe by Madeline Miller, and I know you need an understanding on The Odyssey to fully appreciate that book. Since I'm not sure that The Iliad is set at sea or on the coast, I've decided to read both of the books as I know The Odyssey is definitely set (in part) at sea!

Divination - Third Eye: Assign Numbers to your TBR and Assign a Random Number Generator to Pick your Next Read
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. As said in the prompt, I assigned my TBR numbers and used a random number generator to get the next read. I got number 136 which was The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.

Herbology - Mumbulus Mimbletonia: Title that Starts with an M
Marley & Me by John Grogan. Again, pretty obvious why I chose this one! I've had this on my TBR since my mum read it back in the 00's. I know it's going to make me cry but I do love animal books.

History of Magic - Witch Hunts: Book Featuring Witches/Wizards
Circe by Madeline Miller. And here it is! As I mentioned in my DADA prompt, I want to get to Circe this month.

Muggle Studies - Book from the Perspective of a Muggle (Contemporary)
A Thousand Perfect Notes by C.G. Drews. I received this contemporary in an Illumicrate box a couple of years ago and have never been too inclined to pick it up. This is definitely a good excuse to read it though.

Potions - Shrinking Solution: Book Under 150 Pages
Shadow by Amanda Sun. This is a novella set before Ink (which I'm reading for the Charms prompt), and one of the few books I own that are under 150 pages. This book is 69 pages.

Transfiguration - Book that Includes Shapeshifting
Crescent City by Sarah J. Maas. I had to fit this in somewhere. I've been desperate to read this since it came out but I'm currently in the middle of Words of Radiance (a 1000+ page fantasy), so I didn't want to start another huge fantasy at the same time. I've heard this book has shapeshifters in and I'm massively looking forward to seeing what an Adult fantasy is like from Sarah J. Maas!

And that's my TBR for the OWLs! I'm hoping to read a lot more in April than I have in March (since I've spent most of this month moving house and unpacking), so I think I can get all this done! I might swap out one or two books if I think they don't fit the prompt well enough, but I'll talk about that more in my wrap-up. Let me know if you're participating below and what books you plan to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment