Thursday 16 July 2020

NEWTs Magical Readathon 2020 TBR

This is the second part of the amazing magical readathon created by Book Roast on Youtube. 

The first part of the readathon happened in April this year and the idea is that you can take any of the subjects in the NEWTs readathon that you completed in the OWLs readathon. Once again Gi has gone all out and not only created reading prompts for each subject but has also created wizarding careers to choose from. If you want more information then I'll leave her explanation video here so you can check those out as she explains it far better than I could! You can also find all the reading prompts and career paths in that video too. I will just note that this year will be the last NEWTs readathon due to J.K. Rowling and her anti-trans opinions. Next year Gi will be creating a new readathon to replace it!

The NEWTs readathon starts on August 1st and lasts the whole month (until August 31st) and during this time everyone will be taking their 'NEWT Examinations'. In my OWLs I managed to pass every subject which means I could take any of the subjects I want and attempt to complete them all. However, there are 33 prompts so I'm definitely going to narrow it down to a more do-able TBR! I've decided to choose Magizooligist career path and also Animagus Training which means I will need:

E - Arithmancy
O - Care of Magical Creatures
E - Charms
E - Herbology
E - Potions
O - Transfiguration

This means I will need to read 14 books in the month of August, which feels very do-able as I've been reading around 20 books a month lately. If I surpass the above then I'll also try to fit in other subjects as well but we'll see how it goes! (Also, note that you have to complete the prompts in order so you can get the NEWT, e.g. you have to complete the Acceptable, then Exceeds Expectations, and finally Outstanding).

So, without further ado, here are the prompts and my TBR for the NEWTs Magical Readathon.

Arithmancy
A: Precision is Key - Read a non-fiction
The Story of English by Joseph Piercy

E: A Book that ends on an uneven page number
Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

Care of Magical Creatures
A: Salamander - A book with fire on the cover or in the title
Finder's Keepers by Stephen King

E: Flobberworm - Lazy is fine! Read something short
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer

O: Hagrid's Hut - Start a book with a snack
Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

Charms
A: Cheering Charm - Read a humorous book
The Hating Game by Sally Thorne

E: Glacius Freezing Charm - Read a book set in winter
Royal Holiday by Jasmine Guillory

Herbology
A: Puffapods - A book with flowers on the cover
New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

E: Nettle Plant - A book that might be impactful
Internment by Samira Ahmed

Potions
A: Flying Seahorse Ingredient - A book with the word "sky" in the title or on the cover
Mr Mercedes by Stephen King

E: Doxycide - Author name that starts with the letter D (first or last name)
The Governess Game by Tessa Dare

Transfiguration
A: Lapifors Spell - Animal on the cover or in the title
The Black Flamingo by Dean Atta

E: Draconifors Spell - A book with dragons or fire in the title or on the cover
Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

O: Duro (hardening spell) - Read a hardcover or a book you thought would be hard to read
Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer

As you can see, part of my TBR is to re-read the Twilight Saga so I can read the newest book, Midnight Sun. I last re-read them about 5-6 years ago and I know they don't hold up. They do hold some nostalgia for 13-year-old me though so I'm definitely interested in seeing how I feel when reading them again now.

So, that is my NEWTs TBR! If I read all of these, I will attempt to complete more NEWTs prompts so I pass more exams. Let me know if you've made a TBR for the final NEWTs, and what career you're hoping to complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment