Wednesday 27 May 2015

Top Five Wednesday | Books You Won't Read. Ever.




This week's Top Five Wednesday is Top Five Books You Won't Read. Ever. Just in case anyone is new to this. Top Five Wednesday is an idea created by Lainey, or Gingerreadslainey on youtube. She creates weekly topics for bloggers and youtubers to talk more about different aspects of their favourite books. The group, which lists the monthly topics, can be found here!

I have to say that this was a really difficult topic for me. There are very few books that I just refuse to read. I always try to give any book a chance as you never know if you're going to enjoy it despite what other people think. Most of these books are sequels to books I read and really didn't enjoy for one reason or another but there are a couple which I just don't think I'll be picking up.

1) Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
I know lots of people really love this book but when I first heard the synopsis it just didn't really appeal to me. Later on I watched a youtube review of this book about the unhealthy relationship which is presented and it sickened me a little bit. I went on to read several reviews and the sound of the abusive relationship in the book just really put me off ever reading it. Sorry if you love this series but I find it difficult in my twenties to read about these teenage relationships that are just unrealistic and slightly creepy sounding!





2) The Frey Saga by Melissa Wright
This trilogy is on my list for an entirely different reason. I read Melissa Wright's other trilogy, The Descendants, earlier this year and I really disliked it. This was the most vague trilogies I think I have ever read. I was just left with a ridiculous amount of questions. From the first book I couldn't tell you where the book was set, what the world is like, why things are happening, or even what the main character's motives were and it's in a first person narrative. I understand when a book likes to slowly build up the world around it, but in this there was no world building, just a plot which lacked a lot of sense because of it. It also stopped me from connecting to the characters because I didn't understand them or why they were doing things.To see my review of the first book you can click here. In my opinion the series barely got much better so I won't be picking up her next trilogy. I only finished her first trilogy because I bought all three books at once for £2.99.


3) Bridget Jones: Mad About a Boy by Helen Fielding
The final Bridget Jones book was spoiled to me the year it came out and, sadly, I've had absolutely no desire to finish the series because of this. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy the first book and I liked the second book even more but after being spoiled I just don't feel like reading this book. Also I've read some pretty terrible reviews about it and I just don't think it would really appeal to me like the other books did!






4) The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson

 I really hate to say this because I love what I've seen of Maureen Johnson as a person in Vlogbrothers videos and everything but I really didn't like 13 Little Blue Envelopes. I was on a contemporary kick about four years ago and decided to pick up this book but I had to force my way through it to be perfectly honest. I remember it falling flat for me and I found the characters quite annoying. I don't remember a lot of the book but I remember it ending on a cliffhanger that I didn't really care about. For those reasons I won't be picking up the sequel I'm afraid.





5) Lord Loss by Darren Shan
Now this is an author that I know many people love but I'm just not one of them. I haven't tried to read much else of Darren Shan's except this so I'm not really judging his writing or his storytelling here. I tried to read this book about ten years ago and I really disliked how gory the first part of the story is. Now I generally don't mind gore in books, I can deal with it. But I think the combination of the age I was and the way it was described in this book really put me off. And now I feel like I probably wouldn't be able to read this series because I'm a bit too old for the characters to be relatable any more. It's become one of those series that I'm just not interested in ever picking up.




So these were my Top Five Books I Won't Read. Ever! What were yours? Leave me a link to your Top Five and I'll check it out. Also please don't be offended if I've trashed your favourite book/series here. It's just my opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment