Wednesday 24 June 2015

Top Five Wednesday | Characters You Wish You Could Drown




This week's Top Five Wednesday is Top Five Characters You Wish You Could Drown . Just in case anyone is new to this. Top Five Wednesday is an idea created by Lainey, or Gingerreadslainey on youtube. She creates weekly topics so that bloggers and youtubers can talk more about different aspects of their favourite, or least favourite, books. The group, which lists the monthly topics, can be found here! If you want to see any of my previous Top Five Wednesday blog posts you can click here!

These are the characters I either hated, or got so annoyed with, that I felt like I wanted to drown them throughout the book!

1) Ruby (from The Rain)

Ruby was the most infuriating character I have ever read. She was just downright stupid. This book had so much potential and I was so angry that it didn't live up to it, all because of the main character who I hated. Her decisions and personality became ridiculous and unbelievable as the book went on and some were just stupid. I understand that she is a teenager but that was no reason to make her downright dim. Despite the fact that the world is ending in this dystopian novel, she is always more concerned with her appearance and who she might run into without make-up on than survival, which I think is just unrealistic. The book is about a world where the rain becomes deadly and can kill you so it's rather ironic that I wanted to drown this character now that I think about it.

2) Ramsay Bolton (from A Song of Ice and Fire Series)

I'm sure he's on many people's lists and maybe this primarily stems from Ramsay Bolton of the TV show but I really hate this character. He personifies the word Sadist and it makes me feel ill every time he appears in this book. He is definitely one of the characters I would happily see drown if it meant we didn't have to see him torturing people any more.




3) Dolores Umbridge (from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix/Deathly Hallows)

Again this is another one which will be on many people's lists. In the fifth book does she makes everyone's lives a living hell at Hogwarts: sacking teachers, making sure that no-one knows Voldemort is back, and torturing Harry. Thankfully she seems to get her comeuppance at the end of the book. The thing that bothers me about Dolores isn't the fifth book, but in the final book. Even after it seems she's learnt her lesson she then goes on to work for Voldemort at the Ministry! Definitely one of the more cowardly and evil characters in the Harry Potter series.




4) Teresa (The Maze Runner Trilogy)

I know a couple of people who have felt like this but it's just the main characters from this trilogy in general which bother me. It was mostly in the second book where the two main characters are separated and stupidly don't use telepathy and then they are constantly betraying one another and then trying to convince each other that they're on the same side. Teresa ended up being a character that I just didn't care about any more by the final book, she just made situations infuriating to read about.



5) Claire & Megan (from 17 First Kisses)

This is a new one for me. I recently finished this book and I couldn't believe how the two characters acted. The 'friendship' between them was absolutely toxic. The entire book revolved around the fact that they are best friends (in a sort of Mean Girls type of way), and they constantly steal each others boyfriends and then make friends again after the get dumped. It's the ultimate way of saying boys are more important than friendship and it really bothers me that teens might read this and think it must be true. No good friend in real life would take their best friend' boyfriend/potential boyfriend, and again, there's no way they'd be forgiven as easily as in this book. The characters had very little depth and I just wanted to drown them both because they clearly didn't know how to make a rational decision between them!

So these are my Top Five Characters I Wanted to Drown! Let me know what yours are and if you've done a Top Five Wednesday or have a blog then leave a link in the comments!

12 comments:

  1. I was tempted to put Umbridge in mine too! Very difficult to choose 5!
    Here's my top 5:
    http://kristisbookshelf.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it really was! I'll check out your blog now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umbridge is the WORST! My hatred of her is so deep that I'm even bias against the actress now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Whenever I see her in something I always feel a slight hatred towards her.

      Delete
    2. Yes! What's bad is that she is in one of my favorite movies ever, Peter's Friends (about 15 years before she was in HP). But now when I go back and watch Peter's Friends I can't help but see her as Umbridge. It's ruining my fave movie! LOL

      Delete
    3. She's also in Sense and Sensibility, and she plays such an annoying character, so all my dislike for her compounds when I watch it. haha

      Delete
  4. Great list! I'm totally with you on Umbridge. Oh how I hated her and wished she would go away. I didn't have time to do T5W this week but she definitely would have been on my list. Plus Peter from the Divergent series, Adam from the Shatter Me series (books 2 and 3) and Nan from Abbi Glines Rosemary Beach series. With all the drama she causes I'd be happy to see her drown. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. And YES, definitely Peter from Divergent! How did he slip my mind? It's surprising how many characters you find you dislike when you start thinking about it, haha.

      I hope you get time to do the next T5W!

      Delete
  5. I would agree with Ramsay even though I have only seen him in the series. I would almost daresay drowning isn't painful enough for him after all he has done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree with you there. You see less of him in the books so he's slightly more bearable (but not by much!)

      Delete
  6. I was tempted to put Umbridge in mine, she's such a wicked witch :') I also totally agree with Ramsay Bolton! Nice list!
    If you want to check out mine: http://bensawyerbookshelf.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone was by the sounds of it. She is definitely not a liked character!

      Thanks! I'll check out your list now!

      Delete