Friday 3 August 2018

Let's Talk | Underrated Books

Today I wanted to talk about some of my favourite books that I feel like don't get enough love. There are so many books out there that receive so much hype (and deserve it!), but there are other gems that seem to remain hidden. So today I'm going to mention ten of my favourite books that I feel are underrated. Let me know if you've read any of these in the comments, or what your favourite underrated books are.

1. Dr Franklin's Island by Ann Halam


I read this when I was 11 or 12-years-old and it was one of my first forays into YA fiction. This was before YA became as big as it is today and well before the dystopian outbreak happened. I think I read this book at a perfect time for me. It has always stuck with me and I love re-reading it. This book follows three students who are getting on a plane with their class to go on a school trip. Halfway through the flight, the plane crashes and the three students end up washed up on island. They have to survive the island but they soon discover they are not the only ones there, and the people on the island might not want them to leave. In fact, they may be perfect for Dr Franklin's experiments.

2. The Doomspell Trilogy by Cliff McNish

This is another book that I read when I was younger and it's stayed with me ever since. This is a trilogy that I feel should just be read as one long book (although that might be because I own the bind-up version). It is very dark for a children's book but so full of magic and fantasy that it's always left its mark on me. This book follows two children who are captured by a witch and end up in her world like many children before them. They soon discover that they both have powers of their own and might be able to bring magic back with them.

3.  The Bartimeaus Sequence by Jonathan Stroud

I first read this book because my brother bought me the first two books in the (then) trilogy in 2004, and they soon became a favourite of both mine and my sister. The first book is called The Amulet of Samarkand and it is an alternate history/fantasy. A magician's apprentice, Nathaniel, summons a 5000-year-old djinni called Bartimeaus to do his bidding and steal an amulet, but soon discovers they are both out of their depth. I can't even describe how wonderful this series is. The characters are so realistic and they are all very much anti-heroes rather than actual heroes. Bartimaeus is one of the funniest character perspectives I have ever read from and his footnotes are always so witty. I'm definitely going to be giving this a re-read very soon because it's been too long. 

4. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

My sister convinced me to read this book a few years ago and I am so glad she did. In this book, our main character is exploring her father’s library and finds an ancient book and a cache of yellowing letters addressed ominously to "My dear and unfortunate successor". Her discovery plunges her into a world she never dreamed of. This book is a fascinating read that traverses so many European countries in beautiful detail. I don't want to give too much away but if you're a fan of Dracula or Frankenstein then I would highly recommend this book.


5. The Lost and the Found by Cat Clarke

I found this book in a bookshop a few years ago and my husband very kindly bought this for me. This book appealed to me so much because it explores the horrifying reality of child abduction, but through the eyes of the child that wasn't abducted. This book follows Faith, and she was the only witness to her older sister, Laurel, being abducted. Faith has grown up in constant media attention and her parents fighting. Thirteen years later, a young woman is found in the garden of the Logans' old house, disorientated and clutching the teddy bear Laurel was last seen with. It follows the family and their readjustment to life after this. I love books like this. It was very, very deep for a YA book and I will say there is a trigger warning for abuse and rape (although nothing explicit is discussed, it's a very prominent theme).
          The book was heart-wrenching and beautiful, and although I partly guessed the ending, it went it a direction I didn't quite expect at the very end. This book is unique as a YA as, although there is a very slight hint of romance in it, it is mostly about families and the bond between siblings. It was powerfully written and never before has the final paragraph of a book affected me so much. That final section made this book for me.

6. The Leaving by Tara Altebrando

Similar to the last book, this also follows children who have gone missing, but in a very different way. Eleven years ago, six kindergarteners went missing without a trace. After all that time, the people left behind moved on, or tried to. Until today, when only five of those kids return. They're sixteen, and not one of them remembers what happened to them. This book dragged me out of a reading slump instantly. I read it in one day; the writing was great and the mystery aspect kept me hooked throughout. I feel like this YA book should be far more well-known than it is.

7. The Time Master Trilogy by Louise Cooper
This trilogy by Louise Cooper is one of the most unique fantasy trilogies I have ever read. It's quite an old series and I've never heard anyone else talk about it in the blogging/booktube community. To be honest,I only picked it up at my sister's recommendation, and I'm so glad I did. This book is filled with the most complex characters I have ever read and it makes the storyline so realistic. It follows Tarod from when he was just a small child, to him discovering his powers, and growing up in the incredible world Cooper creates. It blurs good and evil like no story I've read before and, in my opinion, has one of the best anti-heroes I've ever read. If you're a lover of fantasy and want to read something unique then definitely pick this up. 

8. In Order to Live by Yeonmi Park

This is a non-fiction book that follows the life of Yeonmi Park as she grew up and later escaped North Korea. I was very interested in reading this as I know very little about North Korea and was very interested in learning more about the country. Park details so much history of the country and how communities live/lived in North Korea, which was fascinating. I really loved finding out about how she grew up because it was so different to how I imagined. I had absolutely no idea. Her story of how she escaped the country and what happened to her family is just incredibly moving and heartbreaking. I definitely teared up a few times when I read this book because it's so hard to believe these atrocities are actually happening in the world. Her strength, not only to go through what she did, but also to write this book is amazing an I admire her for that. I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to know more about North Korea, or anyone who enjoys autobiographies.

9. The Summoner Series by Taran Matharu
This trilogy is relatively well known and I first heard about it on Booktube a few years ago. However, since then I've not heard anything about it. I recently finished the trilogy and absolutely loved it. This follows a boy named Fletcher who discovers he has the power to summon demons and has to go to magical academy. This contains everything I love in a fantasy: familiars (that are battled like pokemon), magic, politics, different races (elves, dwarves, etc) and huge battles. Would 100% recommend this trilogy to any lover of fantasy. If you want to see a spoiler free review of the first book, The Novice, then you can also click here!

10. The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini


So The Inheritance Cycle isn't exactly 'underrated' as I know it used to be quite popular. However, I've only ever known one other person who have read these books. I first read Eragon when I was ten years old and it became my favourite fantasy series for so long. This book is full of tropes but it was filled with everything I love in a fantasy. When Eragon finds a polished blue stone in the forest, he thinks it is the lucky discovery of a poor farm boy. But when the stone brings a dragon hatchling, Eragon realizes he has stumbled upon a legacy nearly as old as the Empire itself. They travel together on a perilous journey learning magic, with only the help of a storyteller and an ancient sword. I adore the relationships with the dragons and the different races in the Empire. This book series will always hold a special place in my heart and I want to re-read it soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment