Tuesday 17 March 2015

Top Five Wednesday | Bookish Habits


This week's Top Five Wednesday is Top Five Bookish Habits. Just in case anyone is new to this. Top Five Wednesday is an idea created by Lainey, or Gingerreadslainey on youtube. She creates weekly topics for bloggers and youtubers to talk more about different aspects of their favourite books. The group, which lists the monthly topics, can be found here!

This week's topic really interesting and it really got me thinking about how I read. I have a few bookish habits that I didn't even realise! But I also found it quite hard to think of five!

5) Book Buying
So my book buying is one of my biggest bookish habits, as I'm sure it is for many people. I actually keep an Excel Spreadsheet of all my books (read and unread) and I currently own 995 books. That's a whole load of books ... It is my biggest habit and I think I really need to start cutting back because I have seriously run out of room. Unfortunately I don't have all my books with me at the moment, the majority are in storage so I don't really have a picture for this sadly but here's a screenshot of part of my book list in Excel!


4) Travel Reading
I can read anywhere but travel reading is my favourite. I read on all journeys, especially now that I live in London, I get so much reading done on the tube to and from work. But even when I was younger I would always read on car journeys. I know many people can't because it makes them ill but that's never happened to me. Whenever we used to go on holiday within the UK and we'd have to drive six or seven hours, I would love it! I'd bring about four books for the journey alone and just read the whole trip. It was lovely!




3) Book Journal

Not only do I rely on Goodreads to keep count of what books I've read each year, I also have a journal which I update after every book I read. I've been doing this since about 2010 and it's lovely to see what I was reading and when!

2) Never Cracking the Spine
This is something which a lot of people disagree with me on, but it's just something I automatically do when reading a paperback. I never ever crack the spine of the book. I always read it very carefully so this doesn't happen. I have a few books where the spine is cracked and in doesn't bother me once it's happened/if it was like that when I bought the book. I like books to look well-read but at the same time I just can't bring myself to deliberately crack the spine like some people do.





(Although these books don't look read these most certainly have been! But as I said before, I'm not too bothered if it happens; see right!)


1) Bookmarks
Every time I choose a new book to read, I also have to choose which bookmark to use. As you can see I have hundreds of bookmarks (they're something I've been collecting since I was about 4!) so I always have to choose which one suits (and fits) the book I'm reading. I spend about as much time deliberating which bookmark to use as I do which book to read!





So these are my bookish habits, let me know what yours are and feel free to share your blog/youtube channel below so I can check out your Top Fives!

4 comments:

  1. I completely relate to your list. I buy way too many books, keep a spreadsheet in addition to my Goodreads to track my reading, always bring books when I travel (which isn't often when you live on a tiny island), and never crack spines.

    I love your bookmark collection. I always used post-its before, but I am starting to get into buying bookmarks.

    You can check out my list here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's not just me who has all these little habits!

      Thanks for sending me the link to yours, I'll check it out now :)

      Delete
  2. Your bookmark collection is great. I have quite a few but not that many. You can see my list at http://bookertsfarm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete