Wednesday 4 March 2015

Top Five Wednesday | Books You Would Save in a Fire



So this week's Top Five Wednesday is the Top Five Books You Would Save in a Fire. Just in case anyone is new to this. Top Five Wednesday is an idea created by Lainey, or Gingerreadslainey on youtube. She creates weekly topics for bloggers and youtubers to talk more about different aspects of their favourite books. The group, which lists the monthly topics, can be found here!

These are my top five books I would save in a fire (and boy was this one hard!):

5) Three of a Kind (Bind-up) by Marilyn Kaye
This book is one of guilty pleasure reads (and so old that there it's no longer in print and no pictures exist of the bind-up I own, anywhere!). I would put a picture of my tattered old copy but I don't have it with me at the moment! I first read this book when I was about 9 and I loved it. It's a cheesy teen read about three teenagers who get adopted and have to settle into their new lives with a new high school. Set in a little town in Vermont, it really made me want to visit America at such a young age. I really loved this book and I would always pick it up if I was in a reading slump as it was so quick to read and would always cheer me up. If anyone can get their hands on a copy nowadays I would suggest picking it up if you want a light read! I would definitely save my copy as it is so worn and loved that I couldn't possibly leave it behind!

4) Eragon by Christopher Paolini
This fantasy series made me love dragons. I first read this when I was about 8 I think and I picked up a copy at my local library. I then immediately went out and spent my pocket money on my very own copy. It's been re-read so many times since then that it's very worn, but I still love it. It's a fantasy series for any age and I just found it to be an amazing read with such brilliant characters.






3) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling

This one won't be a surprise to many of you but the reason behind me choosing it might be. This definitely isn't my favourite Harry Potter book, although I do love it, so why did I choose it? Well, the first ever time I read this book I had a blue bookmark in it, which I had made at school (in the year 2000!). My Dad spilled some water near the book one evening and the blue felt tip leaked all over the top of the first twenty pages or so. I know some people might find the book ruined because of that but I just love my worn copy with the little blue stain at the top. It reminds me so much of the first time I ever read this series when I was 8 or possibly 9, and how exciting it all was the first time around.


2) The Tower in Ho-Ho Wood by Enid Blyton

Now this is book from my very young childhood. I think I was probably around five or six when I first got this book. My mum read Enid Blyton books to me from the age of one onwards so she's always going to be one of my favourite childhood authors. I'm not sure how many people how heard of her nowadays but she has hundreds of books published (including the Famous Five and the Secret Seven series). But this book was always my favourite of the ones I owned. It's a collection of children's short stories about fairies and toys coming to life but, in particular I always loved The Tower in Ho-Ho Wood. I couldn't part with this book as there's just so much history to it for me. I loved reading it when I was little and I still do now.



1) The Doomspell Trilogy (Bind-up) by Cliff McNish

This is my number one for a reason. This trilogy is probably one of my favourite books of all time. I first got it out of the library as a child and I couldn't put it down. It was such a gripping fantastical world that I couldn't part with it. I think I got it out of the library about six times before getting my own copy (which is now equally well-read)! I would recommend this to absolutely anyone who loves fantasy, in particular witches. It's the most unique take on a story about witches that I've ever read and it was so well written. It was grim but brilliant. This is a bind-up of the trilogy (so it's not cheating) and I don't think I could ever not have this copy because it's so amazing. Seriously go read the summary right now and hopefully you'll consider picking it up because no-one seems to have heard of it but I always want to talk about it!


So those were my Top Five Books I would Save in a Fire! Mine are mostly for sentimental reasons, not because any of them are signed. They're replaceable but I love my original copies. Let me know what your top five are in the comments below!

4 comments:

  1. I think most of us included Harry Potter on our lists. I most definitely did. I like the little blue stain story, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picks! I really want to read Eragon. You should get Bloglovin so I can follow you on there :) it's much easier for people to follow! I've done a top 5 wednesday post too, if you want to you can check it out on my blog at http://sarahschapter.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/top-five-wednesdays-books-that-made-you.html

    :)

    Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! You should definitely read Eragon, it's a brilliant fantasy book.

      Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have a look into that now :)

      Thanks for the link too,I'll go have a look at your blog now! xxx

      Delete