Tuesday 24 March 2015

Top Five Wednesday | Worst Series Enders


This week's Top Five Wednesday is Top Five Worst Series Enders. Just in case anyone is new to this. Top Five Wednesday is an idea created by Lainey, or Gingerreadslainey on youtube. She creates weekly topics for bloggers and youtubers to talk more about different aspects of their favourite books. The group, which lists the monthly topics, can be found here!

It's not very often that I really dislike the end of a series. There are a couple I hated but mostly I'm usually half happy and half okay with series enders that didn't fulfil all my expectations. So here I've listed a couple that I really really didn't like and the rest are more that I felt a bit indifferent to how the book ended because it was a bit boring or not entirely satisfactory. So here we go!

5) The Death Cure by James Dashner

I hate to say it, but I feel like this was just a disappointing series altogether (sorry to anyone out there who enjoyed it!). I found the first book interesting and the premise was quite intriguing but as the books continued I just felt my curiosity disappear. There wasn't really any 'big reveal' at the end and, although I definitely didn't hate the series, I just found it a bit meh. I stopped really caring about the characters after they became infuriating and I just didn't enjoy the series that much.




4) Specials by Scott Westerfeld

This one is similar to The Death Cure except that  I really did like the first book. The premise was really interesting and I loved the idea of ready one of the first young adult dystopians that people raved about before The Hunger GamesI did really like the Uglies series quite a bit, but I felt as though each book was a little less intriguing than the previous one. It's still a good series but I just felt like the books got gradually less exciting as they went along. Having said that, I am currently reading Extras (a companion book to the series, set in the future) and I'm really enjoying it!


3) The Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Now this book was a real disappointment to me. I loved the first book in this trilogy and I absolutely adored the second book. They were full of mystery and constant suspense, I couldn't tell what was real any more or if the unreliable narrator was actually insane. It was such a thrilling trilogy that I loved ... until I got to the third book. This book took a completely different direction to what I expected and it changed both the genre of the book and the main character. Mara Dyer seemed to change personalities altogether and many of the other characters acted very differently to what I was used to. I was really disappointed with the way this trilogy ended as I loved the other two so much and they were perfect reads for me.You can read more about this in my spoiler-free review here!


2) Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer

I imagine this will be a book on a few people's lists. I really enjoyed this series as a young teenager, I'm not going to lie. It was an interesting and new take on the paranormal which I really liked. However, this book was a big disappointment to me. I found some of it really interesting but the change in perspectives really bothered me and I felt like the storyline was just dragged out through most of the book. It seemed to be getting better and the pace picked up near the end but then nothing happened. Absolutely nothing. It built to a climax where nothing happened. I think the film was genius for what it did with the ending of this book because otherwise, they wouldn't have had a film! It's been a long time since I read these books and I may read them again one day but I have tried reading them again a couple of years ago and I just couldn't get into them any more.

1) Requiem by Lauren Oliver
This book is my big number one for this topic. I was furious when I read this book. I really loved Delirium, which a friend bought for me. It was a premise for a dytopian novel which I found incredibly unique and interesting; a world where love is seen as a disease which is removed at the age of 16 (17?). The first book did have a bit of insta-love but I got past that and I fell in love with the world that had been created and the fascinating characters. The second book really went far in developing the characters and the storyline had so many interesting twists; I really couldn't wait for the third and final book in the trilogy. Then I read it. First of all it introduced an angst-ridden love triangle. The three main characters seemed to regress into characters I didn't know and really didn't like. And, worst of all, there was no ending. And I don't mean the ending was bad, I mean there was no ending. It literally stops in the middle of the action and doesn't explain what happens to any of the characters. It doesn't resolve the love triangle, or the world these people live in, or even what the main character is doing! I was so angry that I'd dedicated that much time to a series which ended in such a way. It was the biggest disappointment. It felt rushed and unfinished. If you'd like to see more of a full review, you can click here!


Rant over! So these are my Top Five Wednesday Worst Series Enders, what are yours? Leave me a comment to your Top Five and I'll check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Great list. I share your thoughts on Twilight - although I can't really say if it was the way it ended that I didn't like, or the series in general :) You can check out my list at http://bookertsfarm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete