Wednesday 10 February 2016

Top Five Wednesday | Books You Were Spoiled For


This week's Top Five Wednesday is books you were spoiled for. This was quite difficult for me to think of five (thankfully, in a way!) as I go out of my way to avoid spoilers at all costs, unless I wasn't planning on picking up the book anyway. I also feel like if I'd heard any major spoilers I would definitely remember it. So some of these are books where I accidentally found out the end - either because someone spoiled it, or because I didn't turn off a YouTube video fast enough - and some I found out, but was less bothered about. Also, just a quick disclaimer, don't worry there are no spoilers in this blog post!

1. Mad About a Boy by Helen Fielding
I remember when this book came out and, at the time, I hadn't read the Bridget Jones books so I wasn't too bothered about part of it being spoiled for me. What did bother me more was the fact that the British media decided to make it headline news across the country (and I know a lot of people were annoyed about this). It doesn't spoil the whole book, but it spoiled enough to make me not bothered about reading it. Maybe one day I'll pick it up but I'm not as interested after everything I've heard about it.

2. Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi
This is the third and final instalment of the Under the Never Sky trilogy. The ending of this book wasn't spoiled for me, thankfully, but there were a few details that were. This is partly my fault as I was watching a YouTube Tag video and the youtuber said 'Spoilers ahead, skip to [minutes] now so you're not spoiled' and, unfortunately, I was too far away from my laptop to do that. By the time I'd got there and skipped ahead I'd heard some of what happens in this book. I found this trilogy just okay, so it wasn't the worst thing in the world to be spoiled for, just a bit annoying!

3. IT by Stephen King
This book wasn't spoiled for me in one moment like the other two were, and I don't feel annoyed to have been 'spoiled' for this book (I'm using the term spoiled here loosely and you'll see why). There are some books that are so famous before you are at an age where you'd want to read them, that you already know the plot points or ending (for example, in film, I knew all the plot twists of Star Wars by the age of 6 thanks to popular culture, well before I ever got to watch them myself!). This is one of those for me. I had a vague notion of the plot for years because my sister enjoyed the film and book of IT, and then I gradually heard more about different details and plot points as I got older. I'm not too bothered as I'm still looking forward to reading this at some point!

4. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Again, this book wasn't exactly spoiled, but part of the ending was, which was rather annoying! While I watched a review of a different book on YouTube, the youtuber said it had pretty much the exact same ending as Ender's Game. This meant that when I got around to reading this book, the ending was no longer much of a twist/surprise. It was a bit frustrating, but I still enjoyed this book so, so much!

5. Hamlet by William Shakespeare
Similar to IT, this is another book that just seems to be in the collective consciousness of popular culture. I have since read/watched and enjoyed this play, but I knew the ending well before then! I think that this is probably true of most of Shakespeare's works.

These are my Top Five Books I was Spoiled for! I really struggled with this one, let me know if you did too. Let me know what your Top Five are and if you did a blog post or video, please leave the link below so I can check it out!

Just in case anyone is new to this, Top Five Wednesday was created by Lainey (Gingerreadslainey on YouTube), so that people can share more of their favourite (or sometimes least favourite) books in an interesting way. She creates weekly topics for each month so Bloggers and YouTubers alike to discuss books. The group which lists the monthly topics can be found here! And if you want to see more of my previous Top Five Wednesday Blog posts, you can click here!

2 comments:

  1. Great list! I hate when I'm reading/watching a review about another book and they compare it to one I haven't read/finished yet...

    Here's my Top 5 Books I was Spoiled For if you're interested :)

    ReplyDelete