Wednesday 24 February 2016

Top Five Wednesday | Worst Love Interests (male or female)


This week's Top Five Wednesday is worst love interests (male or female). I'm not going to lie, I found this one quite a difficult topic. I'm often quite happy with the love interest the author gives the main character/side character and it's infrequent that I go against the grain with this. However, I managed to think of a few where I just couldn't understand the love interest at all.

1. Wesley Rush - The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed this book, but my only issue with it was that the main character seemed very strong and independent to begin with but she ended up falling rather flat in some ways, and I attribute this to the love interest. To be honest, I'm a bit fed up of books where the main female character falls for the 'bad boy' that just needs to learn how to change. Life isn't like that and guys who are willing to call you ugly and fat every day are not worth anyone's time; it just really bothered me that Bianca still falls for someone who verbally and mentally abuses her when she's already gone through so much.

2. Jacob - The Twilight Saga
When I first read the first couple of books in the Twilight saga I remember liking Jacob a lot and thinking that he was good for Bella, etc. It was only when he forced himself one her and later used blackmail to get her kiss him that my blood really began to boil. Not that Edward is realistically a great love interest, but out of the two, Jacob really bothers me.

3. Perry/Aria - Under the Never Sky Trilogy
I was a bit underwhelmed by this trilogy and the two main characters didn't really help. I found them both to be a bit dull and neither really grabbed my attention. Ultimately I just found them to be the same as many other YA couples, with nothing new about them.

4. Lola Nolan - Lola and the Boy Next Door
I loved this companion trilogy, but I definitely found the second book to be my least favourite. Although still enjoyable, I just didn't really like the character of Lola, or her love interest. I couldn't relate to her and just found their romance to be underwhelming compared to the couples in the first and last books.

5. Art Crevan - Flawed
I know this book hasn't yet been released, but I read an advance copy recently and found the main/initial love interest to be rather underdeveloped and just lacking in any character. This is mostly because he speaks to the main character approximately 4 times throughout the book and the relationship just doesn't feel established. I know it's still the first book in a series though so I imagine he could get better.

These are my Top Five! Let me know what yours are below, or if you did a Top Five Wednesday then feel free to link it below!

Just in case anyone is new to this, Top Five Wednesday was created by Lainey (Gingerreadslainey on YouTube), so that people can share more of their favourite (or sometimes least favourite) books in an interesting way. She creates weekly topics for each month so Bloggers and YouTubers alike to discuss books. The group which lists the monthly topics can be found here! And if you want to see more of my previous Top Five Wednesday Blog posts, you can click here!

4 comments:

  1. I loved Perry :P
    Seriously though, Jacob is a strong contender for my list - I'm trying to choose my answers at the moment. I feel like I've discussed him a lot before, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know a lot of people really like Perry and I can see why. I think I just found them a bit boring compared to Roar.

      Yes, I feel the same with Jacob, but I thought I should just highlight it again regardless!

      Delete
  2. Yay I'm glad somebody picked Jacob over Edward for these lists. He was the worst!

    Top 5 Wednesday

    ReplyDelete