Sunday 1 January 2023

10 Series I Have to Finish in 2023

Welcome to the next post in my Goals for 2023 Series on my blog. Keep an eye out for the post with my overall goals that will be coming soon. This post is obviously the 10 book series I need to finish in 2023. Some of the below are series I need to both start and finish (or catch-up on), and the others are series that I need to just finish the last book in. Let me know if you've read any of these books and which ones I should prioritise first!

1. The Burning Series by Evan Winter

This is the most incomplete series on the whole list as only the first two books out of four are currently released. I own the first two and the third book still doesn't have a publication date yet. However, I wouldn't mind starting this series because I've heard it's fantastic. It was a self-published book that became so popular that a publisher picked it up. Once again, it has one of my absolute favourite tropes that immediately makes me grab the book: dragons. Ever since I read The Inheritance Cycle when I was younger, any books with dragons appeals to me on a deep level. I've not yet found another dragon series that I love as much as that so I'm always on the look out for the next one. In this series, one in every two thousand women has the power to call down dragons and one in every hundred men is able to magically transform himself into a bigger, stronger, faster killing machine. Young, gift-less Tau knows all this, but he has a plan of escape. Only, he doesn't get the chance. Those closest to him are brutally murdered, and his grief swiftly turns to anger. Fixated on revenge, Tau dedicates himself to become the greatest swordsman to ever live, a man willing to die a hundred thousand times for the chance to kill the three who betrayed him.

2. The Licanius Trilogy by James Islington

I got all of these books for my birthday a couple of years ago and it goes without saying that I can't wait to read these. This sounds like a typical fantasy, but I'm really intrigued by the magic in these books. These books follow Davian, a student of the Gifted, who suffers the consequences of a war fought—and lost—before he was born. Despised by most beyond the school walls, he and those around him are all but prisoners as they attempt to learn control of the Gift. Worse, as Davian struggles with his lessons, he knows that there is further to fall if he cannot pass his final tests. But when Davian discovers he has the ability to wield the forbidden power of the Augurs, he sets into motion a chain of events that will change everything.

3. Of Blood and Bone Trilogy by John Gwynne

I absolutely adored the Faithful and the Fallen series that I read a couple of years ago by this author, and he has become one of my favourite fantasy writers of all time already. I don't know a lot about this trilogy except that it's set a few hundred years after the Faithful and the Fallen series and that at least one character overlaps. I'm really excited to see where this series goes, especially since I loved the worldbuilding in the first series.

4. A Chorus of Dragons by Jenn Lyons

This series has been on my radar for a long time, but after Jade from Jadeyraereads gave it 5 stars, I knew I had to pick it up soon. I know have all the books so I have no reason not to binge the series. I believe this is a high epic fantasy series that follows Kihrin who witnesses a prince performing a terrifying dark-magic ritual. Kihrin flees but he's marked by a demon. That night also leads to him being claimed as a lost son of that prince's royal house. But far from living the dream, Kihrin finds himself practically a prisoner, at the mercy of his new family's power plays and ambitions. I believe this is an epic political fantasy series with a lot of intrigue and it's been so long since I read a series like this - I can't wait!

5. The Legacy Trilogy by Matthew Ward

I saw so much about this trilogy this year and I'm excited to finally read it now that I own the first book, Legacy of Ash. In this adult fantasy book, a shadow has fallen over the Tressian Republic. Ruling families - once protectors of justice and democracy --now plot against one another with sharp words and sharper knives. Blinded by ambition, they remain heedless of the threat posed by the invading armies of the Hadari Empire. Yet as Tressia falls, heroes rise. Viktor Akadra is the Republic's champion. A warrior without equal, he hides a secret that would see him burned as a heretic. Josiri Trelan is Viktor's sworn enemy. A political prisoner, he dreams of reigniting his mother's failed rebellion. And yet Calenne Trelan, Josiri's sister, seeks only to break free of their tarnished legacy; to escape the expectation and prejudice that haunts the family name. As war spreads across the Republic, these three must set aside their differences in order to save their home. Yet decades of bad blood are not easily set aside.

6. The Dread Nation Duology by Justina Ireland

I've owned both books in this duology for far too long and I need to read them. This is a YA zombie/alternate history book set in America during the Civil War. Jane McKeene was born two days before the dead began to walk the battlefields of Gettysburg and Chancellorsville—derailing the War Between the States and changing America forever. In this new nation, safety for all depends on the work of a few, and laws like the Native and Negro Reeducation Act require certain children attend combat schools to learn to put down the dead. But there are also opportunities—and Jane is studying to become an Attendant, trained in both weaponry and etiquette to protect the well-to-do. It’s a chance for a better life for Negro girls like Jane. After all, not even being the daughter of a wealthy white Southern woman could save her from society’s expectations. But that’s not a life Jane wants. Almost finished with her education at Miss Preston’s School of Combat in Baltimore, Jane is set on returning to her Kentucky home and doesn’t pay much mind to the politics of the eastern cities, with their talk of returning America to the glory of its days before the dead rose. But when families around Baltimore County begin to go missing, Jane is caught in the middle of a conspiracy, one that finds her in a desperate fight for her life against some powerful enemies. And the restless dead, it would seem, are the least of her problems. I've heard very mixed things on this series, but I'm hoping I'll enjoy it.

7. The Wayfarers Series by Becky Chambers

Thankfully, I only need to read the last book in this series (The Galaxy and the Ground Within) to finally finish it. I adored the first two books in this series, but I didn't enjoy the third book as much. I'm hoping I'll love this one though. These are adult, slice-of-life, sci-fi, companion novels that follows multiple characters as they live their life in the galaxy. The final book is set at the Five-Hop One-Stop, where long-haul spacers can stretch their legs (if they have legs, that is), and get fuel, transit permits, and assorted supplies. The Five-Hop is run by an enterprising alien and her sometimes helpful child, who work hard to provide a little piece of home to everyone passing through. When a freak technological failure halts all traffic to and from Gora, three strangers - all different species with different aims - are thrown together at the Five-Hop. Grounded, with nothing to do but wait, the trio - an exiled artist with an appointment to keep, a cargo runner at a personal crossroads, and a mysterious individual doing her best to help those on the fringes - are compelled to confront where they’ve been, where they might go, and what they are, or could be, to each other. 

8. The Carls Duology by Hank Green

This is another book where I only have the final book left to read (A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor) in this sci-fi duology. I'll definitely have to re-read the first book to continue, but I remember really loving the first book and I'll forever love Hank Green thanks to Vlogbrothers. In the first book The Carls just appeared. Roaming through New York City at three AM, twenty-three-year-old April May stumbles across a giant sculpture. Delighted by its appearance and craftsmanship, April and her best friend, Andy, make a video with it, which Andy uploads to YouTube. The next day, April wakes up to a viral video and a new life. News quickly spreads that there are Carls in dozens of cities around the world - from Beijing to Buenos Aires - and April, as their first documentarian, finds herself at the center of an intense international media spotlight. Seizing the opportunity to make her mark on the world, April now has to deal with the consequences her new particular brand of fame has on her relationships, her safety, and her own identity. And all eyes are on April to figure out not just what the Carls are, but what they want from us. I'm very excited to find out how this series ends.

9.  The Summoner Series by Taran Matharu

I read the original trilogy of The Summoner Series a few years ago and absolutely loved it - easily my favourite young YA fantasy. However, I never got around to reading The Outcast which is a prequel to the original series. This is my incentive to finally read the prequel: Arcturus is just an orphaned stable boy when he discovers he has the ability to summon demons from another world. He is sent to Vocans Academy where the lost arts of summoning, spell craft and demonology are taught to the noble children of the Empire. As the first commoner gifted with this ability, his discovery challenges the nobility and the powers that be and Arcturus soon makes enemies. With no one but his demon Sacharissa by his side, Arcturus must prove himself as a worthy Summoner.

10. Light Years Duology by Kass Morgan

And this is another book where I only have the final book left to read in the duology. The first book really surprised me because I honestly didn't think I'd enjoy it, but it ended up being a really quick, fun read. It's a school/competition-type YA sci-fi that felt quite reminiscent of one of my favourite books from the same genre: Nyxia. In the first book, the Quatra Fleet Academy is finally admitting students from every planet in the solar system after centuries of exclusivity. Hotshot pilot Vesper, an ambitious Tridian citizen, dreams of becoming a captain - but when she loses her spot to a brilliant, wisecracking boy from the wrong side of the asteroid belt, it makes her question everything she thought she knew. Growing up on the toxic planet Deva, Cormak will take any chance he can get to escape his dead-end life and join the Academy - even if he has to steal someone's identity to do it. Arran was always considered an outsider on icy Chetire, always dreaming of something more than a life working in the mines. Now an incoming cadet, Arran is looking for a place to belong - he just never thought that place would be in the arms of a Tridian boy. And Orelia is hiding a dark secret - she's infiltrated the Academy to complete a mission, one that threatens the security of everyone there. But if anyone finds out who she really is, it'll be her life on the line. These cadets will have to put their differences aside and become a team to defend their world from a cunning enemy - but the danger might be lurking closer to home than they think.

And those are the 10 series I have to finish this year, because a) it's about time and b) I'm incredibly excited to read them all. Let me know if there are any on this list that you've enjoyed and which ones I should get to first!

No comments:

Post a Comment