Tuesday 26 January 2016

Top Five Wednesday | Disappointing Eye Candy



This week's Top Five Wednesday is Disappointing Eye Candy (aka books that looked beautiful, but were disappointing). As a quick side note, I just wanted to add that I've changed this part of the title from 'books that turned out to be awful' to 'books that were disappointing'. This is because it's not that I hated these books or that they were awful, but more that I didn't enjoy them as much as I hoped. I found this a difficult topic to choose books for but I managed to find five in the end.

1.Wormwood by G.P. Taylor
This is definitely my number one for this topic as I really, really didn't like this book. I had high hopes for it and was expecting to love it. It looked very gothic and I'd heard it was a great fantasy book. Unfortunately it fell very flat for me and I just found it boring and difficult to get into. That doesn't often happen to me with books which is why I always remember vividly that this book just didn't appeal to me. I love the cover though - it's so gothic and it just drew me in.

2. Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

This is a book that I know lots of people love, so I expect a few people will disagree with me here! I love the cover of this book, it's so pretty and it really did draw me in. I did enjoy the story, don't get me wrong, but I had a few problems with it that just meant I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped. I do have a full spoiler-free review here, if you want more of my thoughts on it!

3. We Were Liars by E. Lockart

This book was a bit of a disappointment for me. I found the cover interesting and pretty, and everyone was raving about the book so I was very excited. I think that there was too much hype around this book though, which made me have higher expectations, so it was bound to fall flat. I loved the beautiful writing style and enjoyed the story but guessed the twist at the end, and I think I was just hoping for something more. I think if I'd read this when my friend first suggested it to me when it first came out, rather than after all the hype that followed, I might have enjoyed it more!

4. The Wind on Fire Series by William Nicholson
To be honest, I've not read this series since I was about 11, so if I re-read it then maybe I'd have different opinions. I bought all three of these books at once because they looked so pretty together and they sounded like fantasy books I would enjoy. I remember finding the first one slow to get into, but enjoyable, and I remember the last two books to be a bit disappointing in comparison. But they look lovely on the shelf! (And I wouldn't mind re-reading them as an adult to see how I felt about them now).

5. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
I remember getting this book not long after reading Twilight for the first time (so I was probably about 14/15), and I was in a paranormal reading phase after that. This book cover looked so nice and the concept of werewolves sounded interesting so I picked it up. I remember finding the book just okay but it didn't live up to my expectations, unfortunately! However, I do love a lot of Maggie Stiefvater's other books so I highly recommend them too (they also have gorgeous covers!)
Those are my Top Five Disappointing Eye Candy books! Let me know what you guys think and what yours are too! If you did a Top Five Wednesday for this then leave your link below and I'll go check it out! I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else has said!
Just in case anyone is new to this, Top Five Wednesday was created by Lainey (Gingerreadslainey on YouTube), so that people can share more of their favourite (or sometimes least favourite) books in an interesting way. She creates weekly topics for each month so Bloggers and YouTubers alike to discuss books. The group which lists the monthly topics can be found here! And if you want to see more of my previous Top Five Wednesday Blog posts, you can click here!

4 comments:

  1. The Shiver trilogy seem to be on a lot of people's list today. I liked this series but it was one of the first YA books that I read so that may be why.
    If you are interested my T5W is here: http://powisamy.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/top-5-wednesday-disappointing-eye-candy.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw that too. Yes, it's still a beautifully written series, but it just didn't have the same feeling for me as other YA books I'd read, which is probably why I didn't find it as interesting. Thanks for the link! I'll check it out now!

      Delete
  2. I'm seeing 'We Were Liars' on a lot of peoples lists. There was so much hype around it and I wanted to read it. A little hesitant now!
    My Top 5 Disappointing Eye Candy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem to be a book where people either love it or hate it, I think that people just hyped it too much for me. I'd still recommend it though as the writing is beautiful and I know lots of people who absolutely loved it! Thanks for the link, I'll check it out now!

      Delete