Wednesday 20 January 2016

Top Five Wednesday | Favourite Buzz Words




This week's Top Five Wednesday is Favourite Buzz Words (aka words used to describe a book that is a guarantee buy for you). There are so many words that immediately entice me to read a book so it was hard narrowing it down to five, but these are the ones that sell books to me the most!

1. Dragons
Generally, any book with dragons in it is guaranteed to sell it to me. I love fantasy novels as a rule anyway and ever since reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini when I was 10, I always try to pick up dragon books. I don't know what it is, but I just love them.

2. Psychological Thriller
I know this is more of a genre than a buzz word, but I'm still counting it! I adore psychological thrillers - I think one of the first ones I read was Sister by Rosamund Lupton and I fell in love with them. It borders horror without being scary, and it's the unexpected turns in the plot that can mess with your perspective when reading the book that intrigues me the most. I always enjoy finding a good book like this.

3. Plot Twists

This is kind of related to the above, but I love a good plot twist in any genre. I love reading a book and not realising the huge twists until they're revealed to the reader. It makes the reading experience so much more fun, and it also makes re-reading a lot more fun too, so you can hunt for those clues that you overlooked the first time.

4. Magic Powers/Gifts/Abilities

I really don't think this will get old for me. Whether it's in a fantasy, dystopian or urban fantasy book, I love characters with some sort of abilities , where they explore the scope but also the restrictions and limits of their powers. It always adds an extra dimension to the book that I enjoy.

5. Familiars

Again, this is another one that I don't think I could tire of. Familiars or some sort of creature that helps the main characters. I think this comes from my very deep love of pokemon, so if you tell me that a book is like Pokémon mixed with something else, then you've already sold it to me, hands down. (A good example of this was The Novice by Taran Matharu and Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott).

These are my Top Five Buzz Words, let me know what you think and what yours are below! Or if you've done a Top Five Wednesday let me know! Just in case anyone is new to this, Top Five Wednesday was created by Lainey (Gingerreadslainey on YouTube), so that people can share more of their favourite (or sometimes least favourite) books in an interesting way. She creates weekly topics for each month so Bloggers and YouTubers alike to discuss books. The group which lists the monthly topics can be found here! And if you want to see more of my previous Top Five Wednesday Blog posts, you can click here!

2 comments:

  1. Also a fan of magic and dragons.
    If you are interested my T5W post is here: http://powisamy.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/top-5-wednesday-favourite-buzz-words.html

    ReplyDelete