Wednesday 23 March 2016

Book of the Month and Reading Wrap-Up | February 2016 (Very Late!)

I read some fantastic books last month, many of which I'd been meaning to get around to for a while. I'm very happy with how much I managed to read this month - a whopping 15 books -  and a few were quite long books. This was a very tough call to choose my favourite this month as I read some amazing books, but the winner should really come as no surprise...

1. Bridge of Snow by Marie Rutkoski 
2. Stray by Rachel Vincent 
3. Rogue by Rachel Vincent ★.5
4. Pride by Rachel Vincent 
5. Prey by Rachel Vincent ★.5
6. Shift by Rachel Vincent 
7. Alpha by Rachel Vincent 
8. Hunt by Rachel Vincent 
9. Night of the Living Dummy by R. L. Stine 
10. Black Beauty by Anna Sewell 
11. Flawed by Cecelia Ahern ★.75
12. After Impact by Nicole Stark  ★.25
13. The Lost and the Found by Cat Clarke 
14. The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson 
15. The Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutkoski

Some of these books already have review written for them and to read those just click on the books above.

The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson!
(#1 Mistborn Trilogy)



**Spoiler-Free Review!**

It's taken me a long time to get around to this trilogy. I'd heard wonderful things about it and I adore high fantasy, so a few weeks ago I finally decided it was time to pick it up. I could not be happier that I did. I had read Steelheart last year and loved Sanderson's writing. It is beautiful and fantastic, and in this book he creates one of the most complex yet stunning fantasy worlds I've ever read about. The characters are all so realistic and fleshed out; I was in love with the from the start. Vin, Kelsier, and the crew are all wonderful people with very real emotions and wants.

I have to say that I think this series gets better with every book. Sanderson is also my number one fantasy author who can write the best twists into novels. I have never known a fantasy to have so many twists in it that I never see coming (I always think I know what the twist is until the very end). 

The magic system is also one of the most interesting and unique concepts I've ever read about. When people had told me about it before I wasn't sure what to expect, but it works so unbelievably well. I highly, highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys high fantasy. Don't be intimidated by the size of these books; you'll fly through them! 

I could gush forever about this book but I think that's probably enough for now! Let me know if you've read this book and whether you enjoyed it or not!

I could have picked so many books that I read this month for both the winner and runner-up but this month the runner-up is: 

 The Lost and the Found by Cat Clarke 

I hasn't heard anything about this book before, but my fiancée bought me it as a present not too long ago and the plot sounded right up street. This is a book about a girl who's sister was kidnapped and found 13 years later. It's follows the family and their readjustment to life after this. I love books like this. It was very, very deep for a YA book and I will say there is a trigger warning for abuse and rape (although nothing explicit is discussed, it's a very prominent theme).


The book was heart-wrenching and beautiful, and although I partly guessed the ending, it went it a direction I didn't quite expect at the very end. This book is unique as a YA as, although there is a very slight hint of romance in it, it is mostly about families and the bond between siblings. It was powerfully written and never before has the final paragraph of a book affected me so much. That final section made this book for me. I will definitely be reading more by Cat Clarke as I think she is a brilliant writer. More people need to read this book. 

Those are my February books that I read. Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment