Wednesday 2 March 2016

Top Five Wednesday | Biggest Book Hangovers


This week's Top Five Wednesday is biggest book hangovers. We've all had these and they are not pleasant (or maybe they are?). Being so invested in a book/series that you find it difficult to pick another book to read - either because you don't think it will compare to the last book you read, or because you don't want to think about anything but that one book. I can definitely think of a few for this a couple definitely won't be a surprise.

1. Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling
This is probably top for a lot of people, but I had to say it because nothing sends me into a book hangover like Harry Potter. It was probably the first book hangover I ever had. I remember finishing the complete series and just being sat in front of my book shelf for about an hour trying to decide what to read next and, in the end, I just decided to re-read Harry Potter again...

2. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
I read this book a couple of years ago and, after finishing, I just couldn't get the story or characters out of my head. I wanted more books like this as I'd never read anything like it before. So much geekiness, video game references and sci-fi in one book. Fantastic.
3. We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
This book gave me a book hangover for an entirely different reason to the other two I've mentioned. This book is absolutely amazing and also extremely haunting. I couldn't stop thinking about the ending of this book and the powerful message in its pages. I ended up watching the film straight after reading it so I could keep it in my head. I definitely need to re-read this at some point!
4. Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson
This was the first Brandon Sanderson book I'd ever read and it made me see exactly what the hype was about with this author. I have since started the Mistborn Trilogy (which is equally amazing), but Steelheart really gave me a book hangover when I read it. I immediately read the short story which followed this; the characters were so amazing and I needed to know more about them. He also writes the most incredible plot twists I have ever read that shock and stay with you long after you put the book down.

5. The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas
Oddly enough, it wasn't any book in the Throne of Glass series which gave me a book hangover, but the four novellas in The Assassin's Blade. The reason this set of novellas is on my list is because I've never ever been so affected by short prequel stories in my life before this. Even though I knew for certain what would happen in these books, having been made aware in the Throne of Glass books, I was still in shock at the end of the book. This genuinely left me a weeping mess as I felt so emotionally connected to characters I should have barely known. This book and her ability to write such characters filled with depth shows how amazing a writer Sarah J. Maas is. I would suggest reading the Throne of Glass series for this book alone.

Those were my Top Five Biggest Book Hangovers! Let me know what you think or what yours are below! Also feel free to link your own Top Five Wednesday below so I can check it out.

Just in case anyone is new to this, Top Five Wednesday was created by Lainey (Gingerreadslainey on YouTube), so that people can share more of their favourite (or sometimes least favourite) books in an interesting way. She creates weekly topics for each month so Bloggers and YouTubers alike to discuss books. The group which lists the monthly topics can be found here! And if you want to see more of my previous Top Five Wednesday Blog posts, you can click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment