Wednesday 9 March 2016

Top Five Wednesday | Books That Feature Time Travel


This week's Top Five Wednesday is books that feature time travel. At first, when I read this topic I thought it would be an easy one to find books for as I love time travel novels. However, I soon realised I hadn't read quite so many time travel novels as I'd thought, so this was a tough one. Despite that, these are all books I absolutely adore and I've not had a chance to talk about some of them before!

1. 11.22.63 by Stephen King
I read this book for the first time last year and I already want to re-read it. It's about a time period I'm very interested in and I love that the story doesn't bog itself down in the technical side of time travel. This book follows a man who ends up travelling back in time to stop the assassination of John F. Kennedy, but it also explores the life that he ends up living in the past. I also adore the intertextuality of his other works within this book - such as the fictional town of Derry and its clown, from IT, appearing.

2. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
I haven't read this book since 2012, so it's been a while, but I remember finding it such a fascinating book with such a unique concept of time travel. It was also a very powerful story that ended up moving me to tears because of how heart-wrenching it was. A beautiful book that I highly recommend picking up. (As a side note, the movie does not do this book justice at all - I found it to be a very poor representation of the book so don't be put off by the movie if you didn't like it!)

3. Gideon the Cutpurse by Linda Buckley-Archer
My mum first bought me this book when I was around 12 and I completely fell in love with the story. It's a children's book but it definitely has readability for adults so don't let that put you off. The novel focuses on two children called Peter and Kate and their accidental transportation to the year 1763 where they meet a cutpurse named Gideon. The novel gives such an accurate representation of the time period and the characters are all so believable and likeable. This is another book I need to re-read soon.

4. City of Stars by Mary Hoffman
I am cheating slightly with this one as it's not exactly time travel, but travel to the past of a parallel world. These two books are definitely my favourites of the series. The entire world and concept is incredibly unique and it deals with very serious topics despite being for young adults/children. I adore this series. It is also possible to read any book in this series without reading the book before as they are more of a companion series than following on from one another.n

5. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
I talked about this book in a recent top five Wednesday so I won't say too much more about this book other than it is fantastic, and if you haven't read it then I highly recommend it! There's also a Tim Burton movie of this book coming out this year!

That was my top five books that feature time travel! Let me know what you think below and if you did a Top Five Wednesday too then link it below so I can check it out. I'd love to get some recommendations of other time travel books from people!

Just in case anyone is new to this, Top Five Wednesday was created by Lainey (Gingerreadslainey on YouTube), so that people can share more of their favourite (or sometimes least favourite) books in an interesting way. She creates weekly topics for each month so Bloggers and YouTubers alike to discuss books. The group which lists the monthly topics can be found here! And if you want to see more of my previous Top Five Wednesday Blog posts, you can click here!

4 comments:

  1. I cheated to put Mary Hoffman's series in as well! It totally counts! I love The Time Travelers Wife but I've never seen the movie for that very reason.
    http://dualreads.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/top-5-books-featuring-time-travel.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone else has heard of the Mary Hoffman books, I love them!

      Thanks for the link I'll check it out now! :)

      Delete
  2. I see two books on there that I haven't read. I love time travel books so I'll have to add them to my TBR. I really need to get my hands on the Stephen King novel. The past 5 lists I've seen for T5W have had it on. Judging from your synopsis it looks right up my alley.

    Here's mine --> TOP 5 TIME TRAVEL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you enjoy it, I thought it was brilliant. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out now! :)

      Delete