Saturday 17 January 2015

BOOK REVIEW: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Genre: Fiction/ Historical Fiction

My Rating: ★★★★

Goodreads Page

Goodreads Summary:

It's just a small story really, about, among other things, a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery.

**Spoiler Free Review**

This book follows a young girl in Nazi Germany during the Second World War and her story. I have never before read a novel with so much power, often using only a few words. Zusak’s perfect use of language can only be described as musical. His words are beautifully interwoven with the pages leaving a lasting effect on any reader. The book also has some very cute yet beautiful illustrations which add to the story in a powerful way.

The novel has a beautiful array of characters and imagery and it becomes so easy to believe you are right there. The perspective of death is so unique and means the reader is able to see the human race and the war in a different perspective. It was very quick to read, particularly through the perspective of Death. His obsession with colours and sympathy towards humans, creates stunning and vivid descriptions and gives him an almost human personality. Death himself becomes a likeable character in the book.

Hans Hubermann is such a lovely kind human being and I grew to love him as he was such a loyal character. Flawed but kind and loving. There is so much fear, trauma and hardship, yet impenetrable friendships and connections remain throughout the book. Max develops a beautiful connection with Liesal. Even though the time period is one of so much fear, trauma and hardship, impenetrable friendships and connections remain and tie the characters together.

The ending of the book is heartbreaking and draining but beautiful and true. I have to say I was unable to read anything for several days after I read this because it was so powerful and stayed with me for so long. I have never read a book that was so beautifully written and so powerful. Zusak has a way with words that I've never seen before. If anyone is even remotely interested in historical fiction then you definitely need to pick this book up. It is just incredible and the characters are the most realistic I have ever read. I'm looking forward to picking up I am the Messenger to read even more of Zusak and his beautiful writing.

This book also made it onto my Top Books of 2014 and it definitely was one of the best books I read last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment