Thursday 22 January 2015

BOOK REVIEW: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

#1 The Throne of Glass Series

Genre: Fantasy


My Rating: ★★★★

Goodreads Page

Goodreads Summary:

Meet Celaena Sardothien.
Beautiful. Deadly.
Destined for greatness.


In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake: she got caught.

Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament—fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin’s heart be melted?


**Spoiler Free Review**

After reading the blurb to this book and seeing the beautiful cover, I just had to buy it. I'm a huge fan of fantasy books and I'd heard really good things about this series so I was really looking forward to reading it. The main character, Celeana, made this book! She is such a complex, realistic, and incredible person. I loved her personality, her witty, sarcastic humour, and her vulnerabilities. There are so many allusions to Celaena's past that you don't know about and it urges the reader to continue to find out what has happened to her.

The contest itself was a fun part of the book and I really enjoyed reading about it and the setting of the castle. The characters were all fantastic and developed quickly. Sarah J. Maas' writing was beautifully descriptive. I could vividly imagine the castle, its gardens and the people within it. The love drama was intriguing and allowed the reader to see the development of all of the characters throughout the books. As much as I don't often enjoy the romance in fantasy novels, I did love the way this novel proceeded in that way. Maas's characters are all so likeable and interesting that I didn't know who to route for.

I know many people find this book their least favourite in the series and I think that's because there is a fair bit of set up in the book; little is known about the rest of the world although it is alluded to. If you've also found this and it has put you off, then I definitely suggest continuing the series as the world and characters progress so much further in the second and third novel. I also love the fact that these are fantasy novels that aren't too long, and they feel very quick to read.

I would recommend this to absolutely anyone who loves fantasy novels. The second and third book are so much better than the first (and that says something!). I also absolutely love the prequel novellas to this book (which I suggest reading after the second book, Crown of Midnight), and they made my Top Books of 2014 list. Never before has an author made me feel so much through a set of novellas alone. Sarah J. Maas's writing is flawless and she has definitely become one of my favourite authors. I suggest picking up this book if you've never read a Maas book before.

No comments:

Post a Comment