Wednesday 21 January 2015

Top Five Wednesday | Authors You Would Like to Meet

Hello! Welcome to another Top Five Wednesday! As I've said before, if you've not heard of this before, it's an idea created by Lainey or gingerreadslainey, as she's known on Youtube. I've linked her Youtube channel so if you click on her name above so you can check it out for more details. Basically, she creates new topics for booklovers, each month, for people to blog or make videos about once a week.

This week is is Top Five Authors You Would Like to Meet. I'm presuming that in this list the author doesn't have to still be alive so don't be surprised to see a couple on here who aren't!

First up:

George R.R. Martin


George R.R. Martin is the well known writer of The Game of Thrones Series. His fantasy writing is one of the most unique I've ever read and I find it incredible how he manages to perfectly write his books so the reader is never confused, but equally doesn't weigh his novels down with too lengthy descriptions. He is the epitome of 'show don't tell' and he does it wonderfully.

I would love to discuss his writing with him and how he shapes his worlds. However, I think the main thing I'd like to talk to him about is what will happen at the end of the series and how emotionally prepared I should be for all my favourite character's deaths.


Richelle Mead


Richelle Mead is the author of the Vampire Academy and Bloodlines Series. I found these books incredible, easy to read, with interesting storylines. She seems like such a lovely person and it would be fantastic to become friends with her and discuss her books even more and the ideas behind them!


3. Redacted




J.R.R. Tolkein



J.R.R. Tolkein is the incredible author of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, The Children of Hurin etc. The way he created this whole world and all the languages and its history is inspiring and remarkable. His writing is absolutely incredible and beautifully descriptive. It's such a shame he was never able to see his works become the popular films they are now (although I'm not sure how he'd feel about The Hobbit).

I would love to have a conversation with him about Middle Earth and how he created his idea. He's the sort of person I would love to teach me creative writing!

(Also, I just love the pictures of him with his Lord of the Rings type pipe).



C. S. Lewis



A friend of Tolkein's and an author from my very young childhood, C.S.Lewis. His most well known works are The Chronicles of Narnia, which I first read when I was about 5 or 6. I loved this series as a child, the world he created which paralleled our own. My favourite book is easily The Magician's Nephew and it's so beautifully written. As an adult I love re-reading them and seeing just how much theology symbolism and parallels with the bible he created within his stories. It's incredible.

I would love to have a conversation with him about how and why he decided to go down such a route. I would also just love to be a fly on the wall listening to the conversations between Lewis and Tolkein and how they talked about their ideas. It must have been amazing.

I also hear rumours that they wrote each other into their novels which I think is brilliant! Here's the post that tends to go around tumblr:

  • C.S. Lewis: I made you a character in my book!
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: OMG me too!
  • Lewis: You're the man who created the wardrobe that leads to Narnia!
  • Tolkien: ...
  • Lewis: Who am I?
  • Tolkien: A tree
  • Lewis: ............
  • Tolkien: But, like, a cool tree
So these are my top five authors I would like to meet! I would love to know if any of you would like to meet these authors or which authors you'd like to meet? If you do Top Five Wednesday then feel free to leave the link to your blog or youtube channel below and I'll check it out!


4 comments:

  1. Great picks for authors you would like to meet! I'd love to sit at a table with both C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien and just see where it would take me! Pretty sure it'd be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Definitely! It would be so interesting!

      Delete
  2. C.S. Lewis is a great choice. I would like to meet him not only because of his books but also because of what I know about the way he led his life. He had so much wisdom to tap into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, he was such a fascinating person!

      Delete