Tuesday 13 January 2015

BOOK REVIEW: The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

#2 The Mara Dyer Trilogy

Genre: Young Adult Fiction/ Paranormal/ Psychological Thriller

My Rating: ★★★★

Goodreads Page

Goodreads Summary:

Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.
She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.
They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.
She’s wrong.

**Spoiler Free Review**

I have two words to describe this book: flipping amazing! I didn't really think the second book could top the high expectations I had of it, but it did that and more. It completely surpassed my expectations and it is definitely my favourite book in the trilogy.

The writing becomes even more beautiful and haunting whilst the plot twists from the very first chapter keep you turning the pages, until you suddenly find that you've finished the book. I have never before read a book which made me this scared because I wasn't sure what was real any more, and I empathised with the main character, Mara, so much, as I could feel her fear through the pages. Hodkin's has written an incredible psychological thriller which blows the reader's mind in nearly every chapter. The writing is as beautiful and interesting as the first but the plot is even better and much more intricate. 

All of the characters in this book develop so much and it's easy to think of them as real, relatable, and witty people. It also introduces new, even creepier characters, like Phoebe *shudder*. Although I did guess a couple of things that would happen, the majority of the plot was shrouded in a mystery that I just wanted to solve. I don't think I can explain how much I loved this book, but this series is worth reading for this novel alone. Anyone who love psychological thrillers will love this book. It's also an incredible introduction to the genre for anyone who wants to start reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment